The Tobin Building, built for James J. Tobin in 1894, is an example of the Second Empire structural style, which was popular in St. John’s after the Great Fire of 1892. For decades, the main floor housed the Tobin’s general store, with upper levels used as a well-appointed family residence. Since passing out of the original owner’s hands, the building has housed a liquor store, interior design shop, music store, antique shop and is currently the home to gift boutique Posie Row and business collective Posie Row and Co.
Despite the many changes in ownership, the building retains its original character. The bay and mansard windows remain unaltered and the structure retains the original wooden shingles and wrought iron cresting. The interior's original tin ceiling and embossed tin walls also remain intact.
In April 1998 the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador designated the Tobin Building a Registered Heritage Structure, and in March of 2017, the property was awarded with a City of St. John’s Heritage Award in the category of Stewardship and Long-term Preservation of a Heritage Building. In a very short time, Posie Row and Co has established itself as a great place to shop and support local business people, a treat to the eyes for anyone interested in architecture and history, and a welcoming place for people of all ages, interests and backgrounds.